Top 10 Healthy Snacks to Keep you Full
This time of year, with the increased amount of parties and social occasions, it’s more important than ever to keep yourself fuelled throughout the day.
Yes, I think 100% you should enjoy Christmas, but if you know you’re going to feel really bad in January, are you sure you want to sink back into old habits for a full month?
It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. You don’t have to go either completely crazy or stay really on it. You can do a bit of both.
So what I recommend is that you stock the fridge with really healthy snacks, invest in some good tupperware, and carry these snacks about with you, so you never get caught out. Now I know you’re probably really busy, so I’ve kept the snacks as quick and easy as possible.
The trick is that you need to make sure you’re not overeating, over the course of the day. Your breakfast, lunch, and dinner should be well balanced and portioned, allowing you to snack in between and before bed. By snacking between meals, you’ll keep your metabolism boosted and actually burn more calories over the course of the day.
So the challenge for you, this week, is to make and try a few of these snacks, and then continue to make the ones that suit you the best.
Here they are:
They’re really the perfect snack – high in protein, high in fiber, and packed full of all-natural energy. Not only will you feel satisfied from just a handful of these nuts, you’ll also rev up your metabolism.
2. Guacamole Bruschetta
Avocado is high in fiber, protein, and healthy fats to get you burning more calories.
- ½ loaf French bread
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tomatoes, medium chopped
- 2 avocados, medium chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Slice the French bread on the diagonal into half an inch rounds and place on a baking sheet.
- Place bread in the oven and toast for three minutes, then turn each piece over and toast an additional three minutes.
- Remove the toasted bread from the oven and immediately grind with the clove of garlic (it works best to first cut a small tip off the garlic clove so that the oils will seep out).
- Brush the tops of the garlic-rubbed toasts with olive oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, avocado, onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix together gently making sure the avocado is well coated in the lime juice.
- Spoon a portion of the mixture onto each of the garlic toasts and serve.
3. Kale Chips
Kale is a nutritionally dense vegetable that can serve an important role in any healthy diet. Buy them prepared or make them on your own with a little olive oil and some seasoning.
4. Maple Roasted Walnuts
Have a sweet tooth? Drizzle a little 100% pure maple syrup on some walnuts and roast in the oven for 10 minutes or so. This is the perfect sweet and salty snack!
5. Greek Yogurt with Chia Seeds & Fruit
Non-fat Greek yogurt is a great snack to have on hand, with a ton of protein to keep you satisfied and boost your metabolism. Top with some berries or kiwi and Chia Seeds – they’re high in omega-3 fatty acids to help you burn even more calories!
6. Cottage Cheese with Honey
Cottage cheese is another great snack. Enjoy it on its own, or sweeten it up just like yogurt with a bit of honey or some fruit. Pineapple is one of my favorite fruits to pair with cottage cheese.
7. Greek Yogurt Deviled Eggs
Rather than a traditional deviled egg recipe with mayonnaise, try using some plain Greek yogurt and a little Dijon mustard for the filling. It tastes amazing and cuts down on the fat! Plus the protein in the eggs will keep you full.
8. Bananas with Dark Chocolate Drizzle
Need something a little more indulgent? Slice up a banana into 1-inch pieces and arrange on a plate. In a small bowl, melt 2-3 squares of dark chocolate (70% or higher) and drizzle onto the banana.
9. Apple Slices with Cinnamon
A simple snack, both the apple and cinnamon contain metabolism enhancing properties to burn fat and help you lose the weight. The cinnamon also helps suppress your appetite, avoiding those annoying cravings.
10. Vanilla & Banana Smoothie: ½ of a banana, ¼ cup of vanilla flavoured non-fat Greek yogurt – blend and serve.
To your health,
Tuam rd, Galway