Fitness Secrets for Women over 40.
As we get older our bodies change. Which means our needs change. What we used to do to get fit and lose weight, will stop working. We tend to gain weight around our stomach and hips, and it can be difficult to shift.
A big reason for this is that our metabolism slows down.
And our metabolism slows down because our muscle mass decreases. Put simply, we have less muscle than we used to have, and because muscle burns more calories at rest that fat does, we start to gain weight, or find it more difficult to control our weight.
You may find that the dieting tricks you once turned to, all of a sudden, just don’t have the same effect anymore.
Stuck for tonight's dinner?
Why not try my current favourite recipe? It's nutritious, fat-burning, and ready in 10 minutes.
Enter your details for immediate access >>
Most of my clientele are in their 40’s +, and for many, they are in the best shape of their lives, proving that age really can be just a number.
Simple changes to your lifestyle make a huge difference and will get you back on track again and feeling great.
Interval training will boost your metabolism and turn you into a calorie burning machine, and when you do strength training, you’ll build lots of lean muscle that will give you that lovely, toned look, and will help keep you in shape.
Strength training can be done anywhere, and with your own body weight, but if you don’t know where to start, or you lack motivation, my advice would be to get a trainer, who knows what they’re doing. (You can request more information on the programs I offer Galway women here)
Here is a list of BENEFITS that you’ll get from strength training:
- You will burn more fat than by doing cardio alone
- You will change the shape of your body
- You will boost your metabolism by retaining or building more muscle
- You will increase strength, becoming more functional
- You will build strong bones and combat osteoporosis
- You will improve joint stability and reduce the risk of injury
My TOP 3 nutritional tips are as follows:
- Eat 5-6 small meals daily. This ensures that you never get too hungry and overeat. As well, your body knows that there is a steady supply of food coming in. This will help boost your metabolism, which helps burn body fat.
- Include protein with every meal. This will help to stabilise blood sugar and help to control your appetite.
- Lower your intake of starchy carbs, and eat more fibrous carbs. Steer clear of refined sugar. Eat lots of vegetables. Eat breads and pastas in moderation.
The bottom line is you don’t need to worry about turning into that old stereotype of what it is to be 40 and beyond.
With the right training and support, you can be healthy, fit and confident at any age.
P.S Do you need help with this? You can request more information on the programs I offer Galway women here